Friday, October 15, 2010

Healbot Healing Assignments

When patch 4.0.1 first came out I couldn't get Healbot to work properly, so on the advice of a guildie I tried VuhDo.  Honestly I wasn't really too fond of it.  It's not that the mod wasn't capable at all.  It seemed to have all the features that Healbot has, but it's appearance and setup was not what I was used to.  Perhaps if I had trialed it on a day when all my spells hadn't changed also I might have had a better impression.  But for now I'm glad that Healbot had an alpha version available.

This may sound odd, but one of the challenges with all these new healing spells is figuring out just how to bind them all to mouse clicks.  It may not sound like much, but I feel it's a UI usability issue.  When you've worked with certain keypresses or clicks representing certain functions for so long, you get quite used to using them that way and it's difficult to reshape your instinct to think otherwise.

Anyway, here is the layout I used in Wrath:

Modifier Left Middle Right
none FoL HS HL
shift target bandage Cleanse
ctrl SS LoH BoL
alt HoS HoP HoF

Note that all my main healing spells were on mouse clicks with no keyboard modifiers.  The shift key was for one-off stuff.  I could use shift-left to target raiders (since I hate the standard UI's raid frames) and shift-right to Cleanse.  I don't remember ever using bandages.  The ctrl key was for actions that were typically reserved for the tank, while the alt key was for applying hands.  Note that the middle click across all modifiers handled emergency situations.

Now in the new patch, I had to change things up a bit.  We have two new direct healing spells (DL and WoG) that I had to fit in there.  I could safely replace SS since it's gone and I ended up replacing the bandage click since I never used it.  But it wasn't that simple.  I found through trial and error  that I couldn't keep FoL my standard left-click anymore since FoL, with it's increased mana cost and power, has now become more of an emergency heal.  So here's how it looks presently:

Modifier Left Middle Right
none HL HS DL
shift target WoG Cleanse
ctrl FoL LoH BoL
alt HoS HoP HoF

So my left click (no modifier) remains my default go-to heal despite the casting time increase and my right click my more powerful heal.  FoL and WoG were a bit of a toss-up.  I went with the philosophy of making my middle click all instants, but I just as well could have kept it for emergencies only.  I'll see how this plays out but I may end up reversing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment